Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Last Night at Kailey's

Friday, August 28: Leaving Berkeley was harder than I thought it would be. The town had so much to offer and there were a lot of great people to surround ourselves with. It was wonderful to see A.Jay and her cool pad. It was also great to meet Davis. He was quite the guy.

Smart Alec’s provided quite the delicious avocado burger. It was yummy and different. I am really trying to order things that I normally wouldn’t. How will I ever know what is good if I don’t order it? So, I am proud to say in the past few months I have tried a number of outrageous foods— some good, some bad and some things were the best I had ever had.

The drive down California wasn’t anything too exciting, but it really wasn’t too treacherous. I5 isn’t anything too great, but I saw some neat things and some not so neat things.

Arriving to Pacific Coast Highway (PCH, Highway 1) was the best part of the day. Seeing Huntington Beach is always a wonderful view. Finally, we made it to Steven Clark’s family vacation home. It was so close to the beach. I was taken back by it. I can’t believe his family gets to spend a vacation there every summer. I felt super blessed to be able to hang out there.

Aug 29: I woke up around noon in a beach house in Newport. Could life be much better? We got a late start, but finally made it to the beach after a shopping spree at Jack’s. The day was really hot but perfect weather to play in the freezing water. Jake, Steven, Jess and I played in the waves for a while, and the waves were big this time of year. I ate it twice, which was not a highlight of my day, yet still fun. After some intense body surfing, I dried off on the beach.

I bid my farewells to the interns and headed back North to Kailey’s. Kacie, Kailey and I watched some quality TV and bonded. It was really nice to see familiar faces and good friends.

Aug 30: Church with the VanderBaan’s is a guaranteed good time. I love hearing Tim preach. It was a fun way to start the day. Then we made a fatal mistake and paid actual money to see Post Grad, one of the worst movies I have seen in years. I did not enjoy one moment of this film. What a disappointment.

Today, Aug 31: I really cannot believe my own eyes. August is over. My summer is continuing until December to be completely honest. Try not to be too jealous, I know. But I hear the weather in Kansas is already turning to fall, which is weird, but knowing Kansas weather it will be 98 and humid by next Wednesday.

This morning Kailey and I woke up at 5:45AM and headed to Huntington Beach, one of my favorites. Something about the beach that early is so peaceful. All the surfers were out catching the morning waves while Kailey and I sat on the beach talking. Before I knew it, I was asleep. We both were passed out for a good two hours. Although, my back and neck were yelling at me for lying awkwardly on the sand, the rest of me was so happy to be sleeping on the beach.

The rest of the day was spent lounging around with an evening spent baking goodies for our trip.
Here in Southern California there is a mad heat wave. Doesn’t help that some of SoCal is on fire, literally. It’s hot here. Good thing we are on the road again soon. Oh wait, we headed even closer to the equator then over to the hottest state I have ever been to: Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment