Monday, September 14, 2009

My trip to Chicago

Yesterday started off sad, but ended joyfully. Unfortunately, I was up at the crack of dawn because Kailey had an eight a.m. flight. It was not a tearful goodbye at KCI because I myself will be flying from KCI to LAX in less than two weeks to stay with Kailey for a week before I ship off to New Zealand. So, thankfully, this was yet another “see you later,” for Kailey and I.

I left the airport with an empty car, well not exactly empty. “My bags were packed, and I was ready to go…” [insert song lyrics]. Surprisingly, I was off for another adventure myself. Why did I insert the word "surprisingly"? Is it a surprise to anyone these days that I am off to yet another place or embarking on some random spontaneous road trip. I just couldn’t let Kailey go home and actually head back to my house, too.

I was off to St. Louis. “Meet me in St Louie…” [insert sappy old movie title].

A mere few days before, I get a three a.m. phone call from a man by the name of Bryan Marsh. I met him this previous winter break through a friend. His adventurous spirit and outrageous humor has kept me in contact with him for the last nine months. Also, his best friend, Braylen Chandler, is dating my best friend, Lauren Callison, so, as long as the two love birds keep it going, Marsh and I are forever bonded. His adventurous spirit and outrageous humor has kept me in contact with him for the last nine months.

The Three A.M. Phone Call: It went a little something like this…

“Wanna go to Chicago?”

“I am going this coming Monday.”

“You… What?”

“Yup, let’s meet and go together.”

“Okay.”

That may be a bit brief, but that’s how it went down. “Meet in St. Louis on Sunday.” Deal.

The drive from the airport to St. Louis was pretty minor. I was a little bored and sleepy, but managed to entertain myself with some tunes and a few phone calls. Before I knew it, I saw the arch!

Marsh and I met up outside of St. Louis to continue the journey to Chicago together in my car. The drive to Chi town is notably one of the most boring drives through Illinois, but Marsh had me laughing the whole way. Our conversations were blessed with interesting insight and lots of laughter.

Marsh and I have quite similar stories, which didn’t seem to amaze us as we drove across the plains of Illinois. He just finished his freshman year at Northern Kentucky, but already is taking some off to country hop a bit. Sound familiar? Oh, wait, it gets better. He is headed to Mexico for two months and then Africa for six months with an organization called “Adventures in Missions.”

Hmmm. And Hmmm is right. Marsh and I are both finding ourselves called to leave college and abandon everything familiar for something new and challenging. It was really comforting to talk to someone who is doing something similar to what I am doing.

Yesterday, we met in St. Louis and drove to Naperville, IL to pick up my dear friend Susheel from work. I saw his wonderful family for the third time this summer, which is almost as much as I have seen my own family. His dad drove Marsh and I to the train station, so that I could save a few bucks by not paying for parking. What an amazing guy.

Truly, the Kumar's are amazing. When their boys walk in the door, they drop everything they are doing to ask them about their day and really care to listen. Also, they love the Lord with all their hearts. When I walk into their home, they want to cater to any need they can. They offer all kinds of food or beverages. I truly feel welcomed in their home. Their sons are so lucky to have parents like them. I am blessed to have them in my life.

I am blessed to have a lot of people in my life. I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment