Tuesday, March 2, 2010

No Phone For a Day

Day 32: No blackberry

I turned off my phone for good today. It woke me up this morning at 7am, and then I removed the battery from my precious Blackberry.

By 9am, I went to reach for my phone and unpleasantly reminded that I didn't have it.

Then 11am rolled around and I needed to call some interviews for journalism, but instead I got in my car and drove to the Lawrence Arts Center to find a source - that failed, so I went to the Mirth cafe to visit a friend. It was there that I found my interview by chance. You never know what you will run into when you turn your phone off.

At 2:15pm I was walking to class without my lifeline and saw a friend I wanted to wave to from afar, but no, she was texting and never looked up. Now, there is a real life example of our obsession with cell phones. People are missing real life.

It's 3pm and I want my phone back, but no I won't turn it until midnight.

It's 10:50. Nearly one hour to go. Technically, I can't and won't turn it on until 7am tomorrow. 24 hours with a phone was not easy or fun. I will reflect tomorrow once I check my many voice mails and texts, I'm sure (not).

Maybe I will realize the lessons I learned today. As for now, I'm annoyed and want my phone back. However, I am very proud of myself for doing something and sticking to it. Maybe next time I will say no to my phone and the internet for a day, that's a big maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment