Sunday, October 25, 2009

Wanaka at Last

The long trek to Wanaka today was accompanied by some small injuries I have accumlated in the last week. My nose is brusied and hurting because someone decided to build a shelf right where my face wanted to go yesterday. As well a bum nose, I now have a bum toe that didn't get along with some gravel roads a few nights ago.

Other than the bleeding and the swelling, I am wonderful! Life honestly is wonderful.

I am traveling on the Kiwi Experience bus (google it to find out lots). I can hop on and hop off it all over NZ. Now I am in the south island and arrived to Wanaka today. I will be here three nights. It is funny to think that three nights sounds like a long time. I can unpack my bag for a night without having to rush to throw it all back in the next morning and catch the bus.

The bus is amazing. We watched movies today actually which was a nice change from the aweful music people have on their ipods. The people on the bus are amazing. I am sad to be leaving my new friends who are not staying here three nights. Lizzy and Ellie from the UK as well as Eliza who is Dutch are leaving me, but I will catch up with them in Queenstown which thankfully is my next destination. QT will be amazing! I plan on doing a bungee jump (Mom, dont worry no one has died in New Zealand doing this). Then there will be a day trip to Millford Sound which is meant to be beautiful. However, what isn't beautiful in this country? We have been driving down the West Coast of the South Island and I'm sorry California, but this drive gives Highway One a run for its money.

We stopped to see yet another waterfall today, which granted was beautiful but things are already starting to look the same. How sad is that?

Yesterday I was in Franz Josef and paid the big bucks to have this amazing tour guide take six of us on a glacier hike. Amazing! Plus his name was Jono and I have yet to meet a Jono that I don't just love and adore with all my heart. (Hi, Jono Bowles! I miss you. Hope you are surviving in Lawrence without me.) The glacier was amazing and now I know all these fun facts about it. What a great day it was! I am now sore, but have the best pictures. We were silly on the glacier taking tons of photos.

Seriously, I could sit on here for hours typing about my times, but I just can't. One, internet is so pricey and two, I cant waste anytime here in New Zealand. There's an adventure around every corner. Even going to the supermarket is fun here. I am picking up tons of English words because nearly half our bus is from the UK. Their accents are funny. The boys love to joke about how much Americans love it. I told the boys they have to come visit me in my sorority and they about fell off their chairs. Everyone thinks America is so funny with its "uni" (what they call 'college' ) and Greek life. I get asked tons of questions about America and its funny to have little things questioned. I like it. It is funny that I have almost learned as much about England as I have New Zealand if not more.

I wish that everyone could see New Zealand. The views are completely breathetaking everywhere we go! I love it here. I want to wake up everyday and see the scenery from New Zealand. Thankfully, I do just that everyday here!

Plans are always changing, but I will be in Queenstown for Halloween with everyone here from Kiwi Experience. What fun! I need costume ideas! Please send some. Know that I am on a tight budget and backpacking- meaning I have nothing and sadly nothing in life is free. There is talk about changing my flight to Australia to a bit sooner because I want more time there. I do wish I had months to explore. Someday I will. People here have been traveling for up to seven months. Well, some have been gone for two years, but they are working places and staying in random places like Thailand for months at a time. The traveling world is a crazy one. Everyone has a different story and it is fun to hear everyones. I could type a 10 page entry about all the people I have met. Wish I could, but there is not the time.

Tonight we are making 'jacket potatoes' and there is karaoke at the pub below our hostel, so I will be showing NZ my best Aretha Franklin! That is a joke. No singing for me :)

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to proofread this entry, so let's hope I did an alright job the first time. Cheerio Mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment