Friday, June 26, 2009

Venice and the end of school

Today is my last day of school! We have to write two essays and then I am done! This program flew by! It is insane. What an experience. I am off to Copenhagen on Saturday and then all around Europe

I wrote this a few days ago, but just posting it now... Enjoy. 
I can not believe that this is my last week in Florence. I have class today, but tomorrow is a Florentine holiday! Which means No school! I am really excited about this little holiday because there will be fireworks over the Arno river at night, which is especially exciting because I was a tad bit sad about missing Fourth of July in the States. So, now I get fireworks but in Italy. Everything seems to be a bit better abroad. For example, I ate pizza this weekend, which is something I do in the States but it is not even close to the same thing because I was in 

Venice.
Yup, I went to Venice this weekend and it was amazing. It was everything I pictured when I think of Italy: the people, the birds, the buildings, the water, the shops, the sidewalks and everything. I really enjoyed everything about it. The train ride there was super long but enjoyable because I was with Elizabeth, Nicci and Ashley. We had some nice bonding time considering it was a long train ride. When we arrived at the train station we hopped on a water taxi type boat. I didn’t know where it was headed, but I honestly didn’t care because, well, I was in Venice.

Venice was romantic and simply lovely. The city was mesmerizing. The concept of the canals is still amazing to me even after walking around the city for hours. The bridges and narrow sidewalks are beautiful. The city was busy, but quite calm. I now want to find a town where cars do not exist. My day seemed better with cars zooming by. The gondolas were a tad different than I pictured. The chairs were over-the-top and a bit gaudy, in my opinion, but bring down the coolness factor of a gondola.

I love the movie ‘Italian Job’ but it doesn’t even begin to show the greatness of Venice. (The chase scene in that movie was nothing compared to the boat chase I saw while I was there. Yes, I am being sarcastic).

We spent the day walking around and shopping. I got some great little things in Venice. I did pick up some Venezian glass considering I was in Venice. However, Elizabeth and Ashley got beautiful paintings, and I am starting to wish I had done the same.

I took hundreds of pictures! Which is really exciting, but means I will not upload them until I return to the States, which is somewhere in the future. However, I am not sure exactly when that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment