Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Life Abroad: Cultured, of course

I have not been good about blogging. I apologize.

Life has been so great here. I have not wanted to be on the computer at all, and I have no internet at home.

School has us go to cultural places in Florence.

I went to the Giardino di Boboli (The Boboli Gardens) yesterday. It was so beautiful. I want to do some research to learn a lot more about them and the Medici Family. It is all so interesting. See Mom, I am learning and even wanting to learn more. Florence is great like that; it always has me wanting to research things. The city is so old and full of so much culture. (Also, its full of gelato, discotecas, pizzerias, shops and cute italians.)

I have made it to the Galleria degli Uffizi. The Uffizi is huge and nearly impossible to do in a day, so I am planning to return there this week to see even more. The problem there is that I am just looking at historic art without really knowing what I am looking at.  A view of the Duomo from the Uffizi:

I have made it to the Piazza della S.S. Annuziata (where the Hospital of the Innocent is). This was interesting because at the revolving door, which is now blocked off (see facebook pictures), back in the day, one could leave their unwanted baby in the doorway with no consequences. Here is the door:

I went to the Museo della Casa Fiorentina Antica, which is where the Davanzati family once lived. It is this great big house with beautiful ceilings and an assortment of wonderful architecture.

I have a few more cultural visits to make. Along the way, I have also found many shop, gelatorias and pizzarias I must return too. Man, I really should have signed up for the two-month program, which I knew I would say even when I signed up for one. Don’t worry family, I am coming home at some point. I promise. I will just have to return to Europe soon. Anyone want to join me? I want to bring all the people I love to Italy. It is way too beautiful and wonderful to experience without you all. Everyone deserves to see what I have seen. 


1 comment:

  1. I will be there in two days!! I would love to back with you sometime!

    ReplyDelete