Thursday, June 4, 2009

RyanAir Experience

On Saturday we flew from Dublin to Pisa on RyanAir. The ticket was pretty economical and the times worked out. We needed to get to Italy, so it was going to get the job done. The four of us, Mitch, Tyler, Hannah and I got to the airport no problem using our awesome traveler skills. We went to check our bags and of course the boys' bags were underweight and us girls' bags were over. Makes sense right? Well here was the kicker. My bag was 13kl over and Hannah's was 6 over. RyanAir wanted to charge me 198 euro and Hannah 95! We were like heck no. But we were only allowed one carryon and only one checked in bag.

What is a girl to do? So, we opened our bags stuffed some things into the nice boys' bags, which helped, but not enough. Hannah and I started to layer and when I say layer, I mean layer. I had about 9 shirts on, my jacket. My carryon was stuffed full. We looked like idiots. Oh and this dressing and repacking was all taking place in the middle of the Dublin airport. Funny, yes. Sad, yes. True. We return to the checkin counter and the women who had helped us before had left and a lovely Irish man with beautiful eyes replaced them. We ask him if he has our boarding tickets and he jokingly tells us no at first, which was not fun flirting at the time we wanted it. Also, Hannah was basically oblivious to his flirting. Hannah's bag was still around 4kl over, if I remember correctly. However, instead of charging us the 15euro PER Killo over like the mean ladies wanted to, he noded in approval and checked her bag free of charge! Yes!! Yah for Hannah. Then the real trick was my bag. It was still 6 or 7kl over. But instead of charging me 195euro, he rolled his beautiful eyes at me and checked my bag! Mission Complete!

We now have a love/hate relationship with RyanAir. Once we got through security we stripped our 9 layers off at the gate and once again looked like idiots. All in all a complete success. We made it to Pisa safe and sound, free of extra bagage charge.

8 comments:

  1. Miss Weaver,

    I absolutely you! You would try and cheat the system and flurt with the airline representative after you put all your clothes on. I am so jealous that you are getting to travel the world and I am not. Hopefully I get the opportunity to see you this summer gorgeous!

    Love you,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog! I'm so jealous you're in Europe.. sounds like you're having fun though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, this is a good story! I even helped you pack that bag! I feel slightly responsible. Oh well, I'm glad it all worked out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh sarah!
    that would happen, you would get away lucky free of charge.
    i hope you're having a wonderful time.
    i think about you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Typical! HA I am proud of you and your strategic moves...way to work the system! I'm glad you are having a great trip and from the looks of your pictures you are making some incredible memories! I hope that you continue to have an adventure of a lifetime & let me know when you arrive back in the states. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha. thats hilarous! i can just see you walking around dublin airport with 9 layers on. too funny. i'm glad you guys got through alright! hope your trip is going fantastic so far. skype me soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog Sarah! It sounds like you're having an amazing time!! Who packs within the weight requirements anyways?!? :D

    ReplyDelete