Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bucket List: Be a Librarian

I am happy to say that I not only got out of bed before ten on a Saturday, but I spent my Saturday morning volunteering at the Lawrence Public Library with KU's Center of Community Outreach 2010 service day. They even gave me a leadership position because I am a co-coordinator this year. Yesterday, Twenty of us re-shelved books, DVDs and CDs. It was weirdly therapeutic and fun. I had a lot of fun.

One important projects we worked on at the library was with LARGE print books. Before the books were shelved top to bottom. For the elderly whom typically read LARGE print books, it is silly to have them reaching high or bending down low. So, we moved books so that they could all be placed at eye level. Hopefully, that was helpful.

Volunteering may seem like pulling hair before you go, but once you do, you're so happy you did. This experience was no different. Plus, I crossed something off my Bucket List.

Bucket List Item:

70. Be a librarian August 21, 2010 CCO service day at Lawrence Public Library

I've always been fascinated with libraries and book stores. If I am in a bad mood, you can find me sitting in the travel section of Borders in Lawrence. It was no surprise being a librarian made its way on my Bucket List. However, I am surprised I was able to cross it off so early and easily.

To add to that, I was a good librarian. When I was restocking the DVDs, an elderly woman in the family movie section asked for my opinion. I recommended a few classics and funny kid movies for her 10-year-old granddaughter's weekend visit. Another woman needed my assistance reaching a book.

Now, another item is crossed off my List. Another memory was had. It was a good first weekend of the semester.

1 comment: