Monday, December 28, 2009

Headed North

On November 6 I was headed North again. Thankfully three friends from the ‘southbus’ were accompanying me all the way up to Auckland. The four of us got cozy on the near empty Kiwi bus and made the best of our time.

In Kaikoura, a sea-side town, Dan and Jen drank away their sorrows after saying farewell to Ash, a holiday romance and travel buddy. Paddy and I made new friends and cooked dinner for our new friends, Charlotte and some Irish boys. Thanks to Polly, I can know cook a few delicious dishes and enjoy the cooking part of it as much as the eating part.

This is the town where most people choose to go whale-wathing and swim with dolphins. The weather was a bit chilly and the price to go out with a guided tour was a bit steep. I choose to sit this one out. So, to answer an often asked question: No, I did not see any whales. However, I did see a few dolphins in New Zealand jumping about as I took the ferry between Wellington and Picton. Australia also provided amazing sea life, but that’s later.

After Kaikoura, we left the beautiful South Island on the ferry headed North to Wellington. Wellington entertained us with its free four-story museum that houses the world’s largest squid. It was there that I had a personal guide, an elderly gentleman that taught me all about the squid and fun facts about whales. Ever need to know information about a blue whale? I’m your girl.

Leaving the South Island was a hard one because we left so many dear friends and wonderful memories were made there. All good things come to an end though. What kind of a saying is that really? All good things should last in my opinion. No worries, mate. The North Island had a few tricks up its sleeves. I was in for many more good days in Northern New Zealand.


No comments:

Post a Comment